Austin, Texas

I have spent the last 11 years trying to reconcile being a mother and an attorney.  It is certainly not an easy thing to do.  The oppressive weight of criminal defense combined with the even more oppressive weight of homework and after school activities have been almost too great of a burden for my narrow shoulders.  But somehow I get up every morning and go to be every night satisfied that I did the best I could.  I miss deadlines both at home and at work.  I am CONSTANTLY running late because I am CONSTANTLY running.  But I have come to realize the best way for me to conquer both the world of mommydom and lawdom, is to let it go. I am not Martha Stewart and I am not Shapiro (after all he has a wife to do the things I do while he lawyers). I am Gabi.  I am Mommy.  I have dirty floors and cobwebs in the corners.  My office desk looks like a folder monster vomited all over it. I spend hours in the dark catching up on emails, texts, motions, you name it.  I have let go of my perfectionist expectations and my dream of having my name in lights as a kick ass defense attorney.  Letting go has changed my life and my stress level.
    Then a hiccup.  A panic attack. A moment where what has been done can not be undone and I wish it could... "LET GO!", I tell myself.  "Breath deep" and hear myself say. And you know what?  It works.  Because I come home and see smiling faces and work hiccups always can be fixed (after all there's a motion for just about every asinine thing a defense attorney can do).
     So over the last several years, I have found the only way I am a good mom is by being an attorney and the only way I am a good attorney is by being a mom (good or otherwise).  They keep me grounded in one another.  After all, I can't worry too much about bringing in money to the (a filthy) house if I am knee deep in science fair projects and spelling bees.  I let those moments come and I cherish them instead of being angry they are there (which was my first instinct).  I know there will be far too few of those moments as my kids grow.   And money will always be there.  Debt will always be there. I can work until I'm 50 or 90 and I will still owe Uncle Sam or the bank or my law school for my loans.
On the other hand,  my kids have one foot out the door already...after all their friends are sooooo much wiser and more important than I am.  And that's ok.  That's how it should be.  They must develop those relationships with my guidance and nurturing just as they must learn to study, eat healthy and exercise.  Watching them grow into "people" not just little sacks of potatoes with buggers and snot, is truly a wild experience.  i would have never thought it could be so funny, entertaining and ulcer inducing all at the same time.  My kids are cool.  All kids are cool because they are just waiting for their tanks to be filled with knowledge, snacks and a touch of adventure and they could be anything.  Maybe even lawyers....

I am NOT a working mom and thriving attorney.  I am a thriving mom and a working lawyer.  My 9 to 5 gives me freedom to use my mind and make money.  My kids give me the will to wake up in the morning and do it all over again.  So luck am I to be counting these blessings everyday.  So lucky am I.

Comments

11/09/2013 01:56

Discussion on this topic is very turf task but author nicely present about it so thanks for it.

05/11/2014 06:24

Likes enormously enhance the amount of popularity of one's site and while using the right number rely; lots of people will be drawn to your account. The companies which provide these solutions, will give you with non-automated or robotic likes and provide you with really serious Instagram likes. The nice place relating to this is frequently that they can be instantly transported for the account thus you wouldn't have to go to that a lot. And when you are a business, expanding your Instagram likes will likely be helpful.

06/23/2014 05:06

I know you're going to enjoy it. And when you finish it, make sure and order some fantastic coffee from Gulejo.

Regardless of where you might be from the adoption approach, regardless of whether you might have just began your Home Research.

International asset protection, estate planning, tax representation, & consultation attorneys located in New York City.

You assume liability to deal with the general population you contract to carry out an occupation for you. It's the same when you employ a legal advisory.

04/14/2016 12:38

Have a strong appetite for business development and be able to demonstrate good contacts with relevant health and rehabilitation professionals across Newcastle and the surrounding areas.

05/10/2016 07:31

And money will always be there. Debt will always be there. I can work until I'm 50 or 90 and I will still owe Uncle Sam or the bank or my law school for my loans.

You are, really a good mom.Always conscious for your children.'s needs. you seem to be a very good lawyer and also perform,other duties efficiently.nice article good to read.

07/07/2016 06:44

My kids have one foot out the door already too....

07/11/2016 03:35

Hi!, I really like your writing very so much! Share we be in contact more about your post on AOL? I require an expert in this area to resolve my problem. May be that's you! Having a look forward to see you.

The Law of Attraction should have been called the law of magnet. It controls human affairs and behavior on planet earth. Law of magnet is the magnetic rule or aura that shapes our lives, the life of our business endeavor, interaction and finances. It works through mental focus that powers goal setting, self-worth, personal power and self-direction.

Law practice management should include tools and systems that improve security for lawyers and law firm security for all employees. What can attorneys and staff do to protect themselves and prevent dangerous, violent situations? Here are 10 safety tips for attorneys and legal staff.

The section was organized in 1958 to improve the administration of justice in the field of family law.

The movie 'The Secret' has created an awareness in millions of people on the importance and power of the law of attraction. However, the law of attraction that is known to public is a reduced version that shares only a small part of the whole concept.

08/19/2016 14:47

Good management is essential to keeping any business afloat. So is good legal advice. One person who can help you manage your company's legal affairs is an experienced commercial law attorney. Here, I offer tips on how to find the right attorney to handle your company's legal affairs.

I get to give parents and family members new balance 574 hombre baratas photos to hold onto while their children,

09/24/2016 06:59

Regulations of car insurance in Tampa looks to the interest of both parties involved in a car accident. It is better to carry a bodily injury liability pertaining to no-fault insurance type to get the deserved amount from the insurance company without difficulty.

09/24/2016 08:18

When people give patronage to restaurants there is an implied level of safety by the very nature of being open to the public. If conditions are not safe in both open and public areas, then people have an expectation to be alerted through signage and other means to any potential dangers.

10/06/2016 05:02

They keep me grounded in each other. All things considered, I can't stress a lot over acquiring cash to the house in the event that I am knee somewhere down in science reasonable activities and spelling honey bees. I let those minutes come and I appreciate them as opposed to being irate they are there.

10/30/2016 14:47

The law is a complex and varied topic and there are many different area of the law - some of which are related and others of which bear little relation to each other. Finding the right lawyer for your particular needs is highly important if you hope to be able to win a case in court and avoid a heavy fine or other penalties or conversely if you are trying to get compensation yourself.

Accident lawyers deal with a number of cases that stem from auto accidents to accidents on the job. Auto accident lawyers defend their clients rights and must know a plethora of laws that protect people, such as workmans compensation rights. Lawyers can work with insurance companies, to ensure claims are processed properly and to guarantee the victim gets all benefits they are owed.

12/16/2016 06:02

If you are new to the internet, you may be wondering, what the term means. Until recent times the word "blog" did not exist in most peoples' lexis (vocabulary)

Thanks for sharing!

01/30/2017 09:07

You need to ensure that the website handles issues that relate to certain keywords that are commonly used in the legal profession. Therefore, the first thing to know about lawyer SEO is that keywords should be clearly defined and accurately used in the website.

02/04/2017 04:39

vlc media player for ios

superb blog keep sharing

02/09/2017 06:37

Good to see how your family and all are supporting you with the reviews. Indeed you are a blessed mom. You are doing great and your achievements have also admired me.

02/11/2017 01:23

Every case is unique, meaning they don't all follow the same path to settlement. During the process, we represent our clients and doggedly take every step necessary to obtain the best settlements possible.

02/23/2017 01:30

Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.

02/24/2017 03:39

It provides comprehensive knowledge of the subject. Everything written in this blog is close to satisfactory level. I am sure no one can raise any issue about all the information delivered here.

Your life must be really tiring, even the Queens personal injury lawyers had spoken of their tiresome and busy schedules. It's all really sad hearing about it all. I hope you find some proper schedule there.

Fiber- Your diet plan is vital for your therapy.